By Patrick Moore – Virable Contributor
Before you go out and hire an expensive web designer to build a website, I want to share some important reasons for you to consider learning how to build a website on your own.
We are living in an amazing time right now; a time where almost everyone has a website. If you think about it, a website today is like placing an ad in the yellow pages (20 years ago.) Everyone from your local business to large corporations and even your neighbors have websites. And more and more people wake up and realize they need a website every day. I assume you are here today because you realize you need a website and want to know the best ways to go about.
Sure, you can pay a couple grand to get your website up and never have to think about it. Or you can spend a couple hours and learn how to build a wordpress website. And guess what, it’s easier than you think. I am convinced that you do not need to spend money on an expensive web designer and I am going to show you five reasons why you should learn to build wordpress websites yourself.
• Cost: As I mentioned above, it could cost hundreds, even thousands of dollars if you pay someone to build a website. If you are on a tight budget, then you will definitely want to learn how to build a wordpress website yourself. It won’t be as fancy as someone who has experience and builds websites full time but with the right instruction, you can easy follow along and make a fantastic looking site that is user friendly and functional.
• Control: When you pay someone to build a website, a lot of the times you are giving up complete control of look, feel, design and interface of the site. You can chime in on what logo and what text you want to put but many times you will leave it to the designers to create something. If you create your own blog, you have full control of look, layout and colors to personalize to your liking.
• Maintenance: When you create your own blog, there is no maintenance costs. Because once you learn how to create a blog, you learn how to maintain at the same time. This includes editing pictures, links, adding content. Many companies charge minimum of a couple hundred dollars a month just to keep things running smoothly. Definitely not a cost you want to bring on, especially in the beginning.
• Personalize: This comes back to having control of your site and personalizing it. This includes colors, fonts, images, what type of site it is, etc. Once you go through a wordpress course, you will understand how easy it is to edit these options. If there is anything you can’t do, it is easy to outsource and get small tasks done. Learning how to outsource is a great idea. That way if you get stuck on anything, you can quickly find someone to fix the site.
• Growth: If you can build a website, you can drive traffic. It is actually the easiest part. You will watch your website grow from a tiny seed; an idea that you implement and put into action. That is how some of the largest websites that you know of today were started. You can do virtually anything you want with your website and can scale it to handle any task. The more content you add, the more unique your site is and if it is in high demand, you will start to see a flood of traffic and your website will really grow. There is no limit on what you can do.
As a fifteen year, experienced web veteran, I recommend learning how to build a simple site. You can always try to build one, change it up, delete it and start over. Nothing is permanent when it comes to creating websites. In fact, the more you change it, the more traffic you will receive.
The easiest way to get started is with a free wordpress training course. You can try it out and see if this is something you can do. Once you go through the free wordpress training, you can look further into paying for more advanced courses. You will be surprised at how easy it is and how quickly you will have your first website up.